martes, 10 de mayo de 2011

Using Humor in the ESL Classroom

Today I started going back in my memories about what I thought was funny when I was a child, so I could find the English version and use it to ESL teaching purposes. The first clip that came to my mind was "The Three Stooges", the black and white version. Up to this day, they represent to me the epitome of funny and for that reason I will use this clip for an ESL activity.

Having gone through the video I found lots of expressions that could be used to introduce students to phrasal verbs. Before having students watch the video, choose the phrasal verbs that are featured in the video and make a list. Have the students look for the meaning in advance, make them find out the definitions for: clean up, hold on, pull something out, knock down. Then, make another list for metaphorical expressions such as: spick and span, bet busy, give someone room and take a chance and have them look the words up.

Present the video and discuss the different uses of the vocabulary that was studied in advance. I am going to give this a try, at least I think students are going to laugh their pants off watching the Three Stooges in action and listening to the sound effects.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario